Ryan Schroeder (N/A) Contemporary, American
"Life Eternal" - A chapel in Troy, NY
Artist Statement: My work is about engaging reality, including its abject elements. Responding to the impressions made during my encounter with such a place I seek to engage and examine not only its physical characteristics but my subjective response to witnessing them. I am interested in the idea of subtraction; the removal of material things from a place, or the removal of individuals from their dwellings. Using dilapidated interiors as a tableau, I seek to challenge the parameters of taste. In these works, I consider where abstraction and representation meet. I think of these disheveled domestic spaces psychological echo chambers. These paintings are relics whose surfaces have been distressed in a manner that parallels the nature of the external object to which they are referring.
Grants, Lectures, Publications, Honors, and Residencies
- Artist Talk at McLanahan Gallery. Penn State. Altoona, PA
- NYSCA/NYFA Artist As Entrepreneur Program at The ARTS Council of the Southern Finger Lakes/ Corning Museum of Glass
- Museum Insel Hombroich: Guest Artist. Stiftung Insel Hombroich. Neuss, Germany (January-March)
- Fulbright Commission International Leadership Conference. Ludwig-Maxmilians-Universität. Munich, Germany
- MICA Profile: Interview with Yam Chew
- Fulbright Artist Grant. Düsseldorf, Germany
- Guttenberg Arts: Fellowship. Space and Time Artist Residency (STAR). Guttenberg, NJ
- Museum Insel Hombroich: Guest Artist. Stiftung Insel Hombroich. Neuss, Germany (August-October)
- Woven Tale Press: Spotlight Vol. IV #10. Relics That Reflect Reality. Interview with Emily Jaeger, Published December 12, 2016
- Or Does It Explode Magazine. Ryan Schroeder: A Conversation About Decay, Neglect, and What It Means to Be Forgotten. Interview with Tasha Mathew. Published June 4, 2016.
- Elizabeth Greenshields Grant
- BMoreArt Feature Story: Silent Interiors. Review of Things Forgotten, written by Matt Klos.
- Shanghai University: Resident Artist. Shanghai, China
- Conducted lecture on Edwin Dickinson. New York Academy of Art. NY
- Contemporary Art Center, Artist Residency. Troy, NY
- Curated exhibition, A Hint of Mint. Troy, NY.
- Paintings published in Jet Fuel Review, Lewis University’s online literary journal, 2012 2012
- Vermont Studio Center: Artist Residency. Johnson, VT
- Solo: Changed Places. Ivyside Juried Exhibition. McLanahan Gallery. Penn State. Altoona, PA
- Solo: Residue of a Lived Experience. Doris Ulmann Galleries. Berea College. Berea, KY
- The Nartcan Exhibit. (Traveling Exhibition). University of Rochester, SUNY Geneseo, University at Buffalo
- Mandarin Oriental: Real Men. Juried by Brooke Shields and David Kratz
- Massephase. SPRINK, Düsseldorf, Germany
- Gleich Frucht Böden Voll Epischter Saat. Haus der Kunst Enniger. Münster, Germany
- Guttenberg Arts Foundation STAR Fellowship Exhibition. Guttenberg, NJ
- Unnoticed: Recent Works by Ryan Schroeder and Jeff Feld. Curated by Alma Egger. Fresh Window Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
- Behind Narrative+Emerging Artists: Jennifer Young, Nick Gebhart, Thurston
- Belmer, Bruno Perillo, Marshall Jones and Ryan M Schroeder. Curated by Diego Ponce. One Art Space & Daniel Giella, New York, NY
- Tell Yourselves Why You Were There New Work by Ryan Schroeder and Mila Rochenner. 326 Gallery, New York, NY
- Emerging Artists. Art Mora, Curated by JeongHyun Park, and Sunny Shin. New York, NY
- Debitfair (Digital Exhibition; part of Whitney Biennial). Whitney Museum, New York, NY
- Tenth Annual Summer Exhibition. Flowers Gallery, New York, NY
- Two. ARTROOM, Fort Worth, TX
- 75th Regional Art Exhibition. Arnot Art Museum, Elmira, NY
- Art for Haiti. Saint Rock Haiti Foundation Fundraiser. ArtHelix Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
- Things Forgotten: Paintings by Ryan Schroeder and Andy Karnes. Galerie Françoise, Baltimore, MD
- 9th Annual Summer Exhibition. Curated by Leslie Dill, Matthew Flowers, and Martha Schwendener. Flowers Gallery, New York, NY
- Forgotten Places, Richard Harrington, Matt Klos, and Ryan Schroeder. Oxford Gallery, Rochester, NY
- Mutual Interest No.3. Ryan Schroeder, Dana Kotler, Tamalin Baumgarten and Arc Niles. Fine Arts College of Shanghai University. Shanghai, China
- Artist-in-Residence, China, 105 & 111 Galleries, New York Academy of Art. New York, NY
Artist Profile Page: Schroeder, Ryan / Categories: Illustration, Impressionism, Modernism, Regionalist (Urban)
Other Available Works by this Artist:
George Milo (1909-1984) American
George Milo Vescia b. 19 Dec 1909 New York, d. 19 Aug 1984 Los Angeles.
Known professionally as George Milo, he was a painter, set designer, set decorator, and art director whose extensive television and film credits span the decades from the 1940s through the 1970s, and include a long and illustrious association with director Alfred Hitchcock.
Milo worked on Hitchcock’s most acclaimed films, serving as the set decorator for The Birds (1963), Psycho (1960), Marnie (1964), and set designer for Torn Curtain (1966).
He was nominated for three Academy Awards in the category of Best Art Direction for his work on the films Psycho (1960), Judgement at Nuremberg (1961), and That Touch of Mink (1962).
Biography from Kelley Gallery – Pasadena
Artist Profile Page: Milo, George / Categories: Mod-Realist, Modernism, Regionalist (Urban)
Other Available Works by this Artist: